This is the 10th recipe on this blog and the first-ever breakfast recipe. I’m so proud to celebrate this milestone by bringing you these banana bread muffins. I promise you, these muffins will be the tastiest breakfast muffins you ever had. This recipe is effortless to whip up in the kitchen, and require no fancy ingredients that are hard to find!
How do you make muffins without eggs?
My favourite egg substitute for muffins is a “flax egg”. You can make your own flax egg by mixing one tablespoon (7g) of ground flax with two and a half tablespoons of water. Personally, I freshly ground my flaxseeds before making a flax egg, using an electric coffee grinder. This because ground flaxseeds tend to go rancid quite quickly.
Tip: Store your flaxseeds and other seeds in the fridge to keep them fresher for longer.
Do these muffins make for a nutritiously well-balanced breakfast?
These muffins are packed with fibre in the forms of predominantly fruit and whole-wheat bread flour. These muffins are perfectly enjoyed with a protein shake to uplift the nutritional value of this meal. Remember, it is important to make sure to have a good amount of fibre, protein and fats at your main meals. This helps keep you satiated for longer, balances blood sugar and prevents cravings between meals.
You can either store your 12 muffins in a large 2L container, such as this Sistema Klip It 2L rectangular container or you can store them per two in smaller containers. The key is to use a container with a snap lid so that they remain optimally fresh. These muffins will easily last for five days in the fridge!
Don’t forget to share your meals with me and other fellow VMPS preppers by tagging your posts with #veganmealprepsunday. I’d love to see how your meals turned out!
Banana Bread Muffins
- 2 cups brown bread flour unbleached
- ¾ cup moist, dark brown sugar treacle or xylitol for a sugar-free version
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 flax egg 1 TBSP (7 g) ground flax, soaked in 2.5 TBSP water
- 1 cup plant milk I used oat
- 225 g banana (mashed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (pure)
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 TBSP of ground flax in 2.5 TBSP of boiling water. Set aside to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C(374°F). Prepare a muffin baking tray by lightly covering it with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown bread flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, raisins, and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir the soy milk, banana, vanilla extract, and flax egg until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until well combined, without over stirring.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tray and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean and dry.