Everybody loves falafel bowls, but what could be even better? A super quick deconstructed falafel bowl!
Making falafel from scratch can be a lengthy process, but these deconstructed falafel bowls with tahini sauce can be whipped up in no time, without sacrificing on flavour.
What is a sheet pan recipe?
A sheet pan recipe, is a recipe for which the entire meal is prepared using only one or more sheet pan or baking pan. You simply add your ingredients to the pan, roast it in the oven and before you know it, your meal is ready.
This meal prep is quick and oh-so simple, which makes the most time-consuming aspect of preparing this meal simply cleaning and/or peeling your vegetables and then dicing the sweet potato into bite-size pieces. If you want to slash even more time from this meal-prep you can buy fresh-cut sweet potato cubes!
Is this meal nutritionally well-balanced?
This meal contains all the goodness the plant kingdom has to offer. It contains green beans, red onion and bell pepper which are a variety of non-starchy veggies. It also contains starchy vegetables – sweet potato – the main source of carbohydrates in this meal. The chickpeas offer 9g of protein per meal! Lastly, this meal contains a good dose of healthy fats in the forms of olive oil and tahini.
I recommend storing this meal in the fridge and consuming it within four days from preparation. This will ensure ideal nutritional and taste quality. I don’t recommend freezing this meal, because roasted veggies tend to turn soggy when defrosted.
If you are not into the sweetness of sweet potato, then you can easily swop the sweet potato for flat bread, adding to the deconstructed falafel bowl feel.
Don’t hesitate to get creative with your choice of non-starchy veggies. Try beets, broccolini or kale! These are all delicious options for roasting.
When it comes to the tahini sauce, I recommend storing the sauce in a separate container and pouring it over your meal after reheating, just before serving.
The recipe for this meal is developed to make three moderate meals. If you prefer to eat large meals, you can simply double the recipe. In my household I prepare moderate-sized meals for myself and large meals for my partner.
More 30 mins vegan meal prep recipes
Don’t forget to share your meals with me and other fellow VMPS preppers by tagging your posts with #veganmealprepsunday. I’d love to see how your meals turned out!
Sheet Pan recipe: Deconstructed Falafel Bowl with Tahini Sauce
- 2 small sweet potato peeled and diced in bite-sized pieces
- 1 can chickpeas drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 300 g green beans
- 1 red onion sliced into thin wedges
- 1 red bell pepper diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP smoked paprika
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees celsius. First, place the sweet potato onto a baking sheet. Add ⅓ of the oil and spices and toss onto the sweet potato to coat evenly. As soon as the oven is heated, place the sweet potato on the middle rack of your oven. The sweet potato will need to bake for 25 minutes or until caramelised on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Place the non-starchy vegetables onto another baking sheet. Likewise add ⅓ of the oil and spices and toss to coat evenly. 5 minutes after adding the sweet potato, add the non-starchy veggies to the top rack of your oven.
- Add the dried chickpeas to another baking sheet and add the rest of the oil and spices. Add the chickpeas to the bottom rack of the oven at the same time as the non-starchy veggies. Both the veggies and chickpeas will need to bake for 20 minutes. (Meaning, you will remove the sweet potato, veggies and chickpeas at the same time!).
- 10 minutes after adding the non-starchy veggies and the chickpeas, I like to swop the veggies and sweet potato, so that they can cook evenly.
- While everything is baking, prepare the tahini dressing. Add the tahini to a bowl and add the lemon juice. Whisk until the lemon juice is incorporated into the tahini. Then, add the water and whisk again. Lastly, add the maple syrup.
- After the sweet potatoes have baked for 25 minutes and the veggies and chickpeas have baked for 20 minutes, remove everything from the oven.