This recipe one hundred percent came to life after an explorative purchase at the Asian store. You know, when you buy an ingredient you have never bought before but you are convinced you’ll come up with some cool dish? The Asian store tends to do that to me! Every time I go there, I walk away with something unfamiliar to me. This time it was instant Japanese-style fresh udon noodles…
About Udon Noodles
Udon noodles are made from wheat flour, mixed with lightly salted water. The flour is then stretched, kneaded and, cut into thin strips. Even though they are a traditional Japanese food, Udon noodles originated from China centuries ago (Udon: The All-Time Favorite Japanese Dish).
Just Add Water
These Instant Udon Noodles In A Jar don’t require any cooking. All you need to do is prep them on a Sunday, by layering all the ingredients in a jar and adding boiling water when you are ready to eat them during the week.
The first step in the preparation process is adding some bouillon paste and/or other sauces, to the bottom of the jar. Then, you add udon noodles, a source of protein, and your favorite veggies. I suggest not to skip the sun-dried shiitake mushrooms nor the nori. They give an irreplaceable umami flavor to the dish. Also, keep in mind that the veggies will NOT get cooked and should thus be sliced very thinly.
I hope you love this Instant Udon Noodles In A Jar Recipe, it’s:
- Perfect for meal prep
- & Comforting
Did you meal prep this Instant Udon Noodles In A Jar Recipe? Don’t forget to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag @vegan_meal_prep_sunday on Instagram so I can see!
More 20 Minute Vegan Meal Prep Recipes:
Instant Udon Noodles In A Jar
- 3 x 750 ml jar with lid
- 3 TBSP bouillon paste I used Herbamare bouillon
- 3 tsp hot sauce I used sriracha
- 400 g instant Japanese fresh udon noodles loosened with some boiling water, if necessary
- 1.5 cup edamame beans cooked according to package instructions
- 2 carrots finely sliced
- 40 g sundried shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 30 g kale destemmed and finely diced
- 30 g green onion finely sliced
- nori finely sliced
- Evenly add the ingredients among 3 x 750 ml jars, layering them in the order they are listed above.
- Close the jars and keep them in the refrigrator for up to 4 days.
- Before serving, pour in boiling water almost to the top of the jar and stir gently. Let sit for 3-5 minutes and enjoy.