This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
In this post, you will learn how to prep this Spinach Pesto Pasta with Vegan Chorizo Sausages
Spinach pesto? I know, that sounds like a dodgy vegan thing. But, don’t knock it until you try it!
It is seriously my favorite way to eat spinach.
This recipe is different from a traditional pesto recipe in more ways than one. Obviously, the star of the show is spinach and not a green leafy herb. It also turned plant-based, by omitting the cheese and replacing it with cashew nuts. And lastly! To avoid the spinach pesto sauce from going brown while storing this meal in the fridge for a few days, the spinach (and basil) requires blanching!
To turn the spinach pesto pasta situation into a balanced meal, top it off with vegan chorizo sausage.
Shell pasta all the way
For this pesto pasta dish, I highly recommend using shell pasta. The pesto to pasta ratio of this dish is quite generous. The shell pasta catches the sauce a tat bit better.
What you will need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this dish happen:
- baby spinach
- fresh basil
- raw cashew nuts
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- shell pasta
- vegan chorizo sausages
Meal prep this pasta for the work week
First things first, blanch the spinach and fresh basil! Like many other fruits and vegetables, spinach and basil will start to oxidize once it’s exposed to air after cutting or crushing, which turns it a much less appetizing brown color over time. The best way to prevent this from happening is to blanch your leaves, before preparing your pesto.
Then, pulse the raw cashews in the food processor. These will add a rich, almost buttery texture to the pesto. You could replace these with toasted pine nuts, macadamia nuts, or even walnuts. Just, don’t omit them!! To the food processor, add the garlic, blanched spinach and basil, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt, and pulse pulse pulse!
Then, cook the pasta in generously salted water. When you meal prep pasta, make sure to always err on the side of caution and don’t overcook your pasta. Al dente all the way! Reserve some of the cooking water, you’ll need it to make the spinach pesto sauce in a mo!
After combining the pasta with the spinach pesto, don’t forget to prepare some chorizo sausages to turn this pasta dish into a well-balanced meal.
Allow this pasta dish to add a touch of magic to your week!
What Are The Best Containers For Meal Prep?
For meals that need to be reheated, like this Spinach Pesto Pasta (with Vegan Chorizo Sausages), I swear by the LOCK & LOCK Purely Better Glass Food Storage Container with Lid. This borosilicate glass container is both microwave and oven-safe, as well as dishwasher and freezer-friendly. It doesn’t stain and has a luxurious feel to it, making it very enjoyable to eat from. It is so versatile that you can bake your meal, freeze your meal and eat your meal, all from the same bowl!
Did you meal prep this Spinach Pesto Pasta (with Vegan Chorizo Sausages) Recipe? Don’t forget to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag @vegan_meal_prep_sunday on Instagram so I can see!
More 30 Minute Vegan Meal Prep Recipes:
- Apple Kale Salad In A Jar
- Vegan Vol-Au-Vent with Rice
- Stoemp (Belgian Vegetable Mash) with Vegan Sausage
Spinach Pesto Pasta (with Vegan Chorizo Sausages)
- medium pan
- medium bowl
- Food processor
- 6 cup baby spinach
- 1/2-1 cup fresh basil stems removed
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2-1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 150 gram pasta I used shell
- 1 tablespoon pasta water
- 6 chorizo sausages fried – I used Linda Mccartney brand
How to Blanch Spinach and Basil for Meal Prep-friendly Pesto
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring it to a boil. Next to the pot, prepare a large bowl of ice water. Add the spinach and basil to the boiling water. After 15 seconds, remove the spinach and basil with a slotted spoon and immediately immerse it in the ice water for 15 seconds. Drain the spinach and basil and squeeze as much water out of it as you can.
For the Spinach Pesto
- In the bowl of a food processor add the cashew nuts, garlic, blanched spinach and basil and pulse until well combined, but not totally smooth. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while pulsing. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
For the Spinach Pesto Pasta
- Boil the pasta according to package instructions. Reserve a tablespoon of pasta water. Once the pasta has slightly cooled down, add the the pesto and the pasta water.
- Divide the Spinach Pesto Pasta amongst 3 meal prep containers and serve with 2 fried Vegan Chorizo Sausages each. Garnish with some fresh basil!
- Store in the fridge for up to four days!