Earlier this year, I planted a few kale plants in the garden. Ever since they have been a gift that keeps on giving. They give us so much kale to satisfy any kale craving, anytime. It’s wonderful. And what is a better base than kale for a yummy Fall salad? Nothing, right?
Salads As Meals
Salads make an absolutely great side dish. In fact, they make a wonderful addition to any meal. But a salad can be more than that!! It can be the centrepiece, the main meal, by taking a few steps to level things up.
How To Turn A Salad Into A Meal: 5 Steps
1. Dress To Impress
The salad dressing you choose will make a huge difference in turning a salad into a meal. A dressing that contains a significant amount of satiating fats, will make a salad feel more meal-y. Don’t just drizzle some lemon juice, if you wish to turn your salad into a meal. Instead, whip up an oil-, tahini-, or mayonnaise-based dressing.
2. Add A Fruit
The sweetness of fruit complements the salty or savoury flavours of a salad and add a sweet-tart note to them. Fruit that go great in salads, include:
- stone fruit
- dried fruit
3. Protein Please
To turn a salad into a meal, it has to contain a significant source of plant protein! Ideas include:
- kidney beans or any other beans
- meat-replacement products
4. Don’t Skip The Carbs
To make a salad that much more satiating, it helps to add a serving of starch. Starch is a carbohydrate and is one of the primary sources of food energy for human beings, which can be served in the form of potatoes, rice, quinoa, bread, etc.
I love quinoa in salads!
Adding a starch will surely help turn your salad into a meal.
5. Go Big Or Go Home
My last tip for turning a salad into a meal is to go big or go home! When you meal prep a salad, you want to be able to fit a large portion in your meal prep container or jar. The dressing, fruit, protein, starch, greens. ALL of it. It is not a side, this is a meal!! I swear by the 1L Le Parfait Screw Top Jar with Wide Mouth.
Did you meal prep this Apple Kale Salad In A Jar Recipe? Don’t forget to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag @vegan_meal_prep_sunday on Instagram so I can see!
More Vegan Meal Prep Salad Recipes:
Apple Kale Salad In A Jar
- small mixing bowl
- baking tray
- 3 x 1 L jar with lid (I used Le Parfait brand)
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon iodized table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Apple Kale Salad
- 500 g beetroot chopped
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 apples sliced
- 240 g (1.5 cup) chickpeas (equals 1 can of chickpeas) drained and rinsed
- 3 cups curly kale destemmed and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cranberries or goji berries
- Preheat the oven to 200° C!
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
Apple Kale Salad
- To a baking tray, add the beets. Drizzle with olive oil and generously sprinkle with salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Allow the beets to cool completely, before adding them to the jar.
- Cook quinoa according to the package instructions. Make sure to add some stock powder or salt to the cooking water, for flavor! Allow quinoa to cool completely, before adding it to the jar.
- Evenly add the ingredients among 3 x 1 L jars in the following order: Dijon dressing, apples, chickpeas, roasted beetroot, quinoa, kale, and cranberries or goji berries.
- Put the lids on tightly and store them in the fridge! For optimal flavor and freshness, eat them within 3-4 days.
- When you are ready to eat, pour the ingredients out onto a plate. If you prefer to eat the salad straight out of the jar, shake the jar for 30-60 seconds and then eat!