Buttery chickpeas: HELLO, old favourite.
Marinated and perfectly griddled eggplant: YES please!
Fluffy sushi rice: yuuuum.
All these ingredients are already yum in their own right! But, the life of the party over here is undeniably the teriyaki sauce. It is sweet, sticky, and salty and satisfies any teriyaki take-out cravings, in like no time. Just whisk soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic and you’re done!
Teriyaki in fact refers to a cooking method used in Japanese cuisine! This method involves broiling or grilling foods with a glaze traditionally made of soy sauce, mirin, and sugar (Teriyaki). However, a variety of dishes made with a teriyaki-like sauce are described using the word teriyaki. In this post, I share my vegan meal prep take on teriyaki eggplant!
How To Prep Vegan Teriyaki Eggplant Bowl?
You will need:
To prep this copy cat take-out meal, you only need a handful of ingredients.
The first step in the process to achieving perfect teriyaki eggplant bowls is whisking together all the teriyaki sauce ingredients so that the eggplant cubes can marinate in the sauce for a good 20 minutes. In the meantime, cook the rice or whatever starch you wish to serve this dish with! Once the eggplant is done marinating, place the griddle pan on the stove and get it hot. Cook until nicely browned and is starting to char from the griddle lines. I personally like mine well-charred. Lastly, add the chickpeas to the eggplant and toss!
Last last step:
Divide the teriyaki eggplant and chickpeas amongst 3 meal prep containers and serve with sushi rice. Garnish with some spring onion and sesame seeds!
What Are The Best Containers For Meal Prep?
For meals that need to be reheated, like this Vegan Teriyaki Eggplant Bowl, I swear by the LOCK & LOCK Purely Better Glass Food Storage Container with Lid. This borosilicate glass container is both microwave and oven-safe, as well as dishwasher and freezer-friendly. It doesn’t stain and has a luxurious feel to it, making it very enjoyable to eat from. It is so versatile that you can bake your meal, freeze your meal and eat your meal, all from the same bowl!
Did you meal prep this Vegan Teriyaki Eggplant Bowl Recipe? Don’t forget to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag @vegan_meal_prep_sunday on Instagram so I can see!
More Vegan Meal Prep Recipes:
Vegan Teriyaki Eggplant Bowl
- medium mixing bowl
- medium shallow bowl
- griddle pan
- 2 eggplants/aubergine diced in bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger grated
- 1 clove ginger grated
- 240 g (1.5 cup) chickpeas (equals 1 can of chickpeas) drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked rice I used sushi rice
- spring onion
- sesame seeds
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the soy sauce, mirin, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic together. Make sure the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Add the eggplant chuncks to a larger shallow bowl and pour over the marinade. Stir and make sure all the pieces are well-coated.
- Allow the eggplant to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- While the eggplant is marinating, cook the rice or any starch you wish to serve with the teriyaki eggplant and chickpeas.
- Place a griddle pan on the stove over medium-high heat! Once it is hot, add the marinated eggplant.
- While it is cooking, pour over the leftover marinade! Cook for a few minutes on each side, until it is nicely browned and charred.
- Once the eggplant is done cooking, add the chickpeas and toss.
- Divide the Teriyaki Eggplant (and chickpeas) amongst 3 meal prep containers and serve with rice. Garnish with some spring onion and sesame seeds!
- Store in the fridge for up to four days or freeze for up to three months!